Sunday, June 17, 2012

Mr Main Event's Top 10 Matches of all time: Number 9

Number 9: Hulk Hogan vs Ric Flair for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Bash at the Beach 1994

At eight years old, I was the biggest Hulkamaniac in Baltimore City. Because I was such a huge fan of Hulk Hogan, I was deeply in love with the World Wrestling Federation. Of course I was just as much of a fan of Bret the Hitman Hart, however when Hogan left the WWF to join World Championship Wrestling, I started paying more attention to the product. Not just because it was wrestling, but because now Hulkamania would be running wild on Saturday Nights on TBS. 

On July 17, my parents ordered a WCW pay per view. This was a very rare occasion. But on this night, history was to be made. For the first time, Hulk Hogan would be lacing his boots and stepping inside a WCW ring. In his debut match, he would be challenging Ric Flair for the World Heavyweight Championship.  Finally getting the opportunity to see these two icons of professional wrestling square off was amazing. At eight years old, I had no idea that this should have been the match at WrestleMania VIII, nonetheless here it is, Bash at the Beach Hulk Hogan vs Ric Flair.

To many, this may have not been the greatest match, but to Mr Main Event, it was the match that kept me glued to the WCW product just as much as I was to the WWF. When Hogan hit the leg drop and his hand was raised by Shaquille O'Neal, I became excited because both of my favorite wrestlers were champions in both companies.




Follow Me on Twitter
@MrMainEventBDuB

No comments:

Post a Comment